Dr. D. Y. Patil Pratishthan’s College of Engineering Salokhe Nagar, Kolhapur
Institution’s Innovation Council
The Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD) in India has established the ‘MHRD’s Innovation Cell (MIC)’ to systematically cultivate a culture of innovation in Higher Education Institutions (HEIs). MIC’s primary mission is to inspire and empower young students, nurturing their capacity to work with novel ideas and transform them into prototypes during their formative years. As part of this endeavor, MIC has encouraged the formation of ‘Institution’s Innovation Councils (IICs)’ in selected HEIs to drive innovation within these institutions, fostering an ecosystem of innovation on their campuses.
Our institute was chosen to establish the Institution Innovation Council (IIC), following the guidelines and directives of the Innovation Cell, Ministry of HRD, and Government of India.
**Key Focus Areas of IIC: **
- Cultivating a dynamic local innovation ecosystem.
- Supporting startup and entrepreneurship initiatives within HEIs.
- Preparing institutions for the Atal Ranking of Institutions on Innovation Achievements Framework (ARIIA).
- Establishing a functional ecosystem for idea scouting and pre-incubation of ideas.
- Enhancing cognitive abilities among technology students.
**Functions of Institution’s Innovation Council (IIC):**
- Promoting innovation within the institution through various approaches, fostering an innovation-centric ecosystem on campus.
- Conducting innovation and entrepreneurship-related activities as prescribed by the Central MIC in a time-bound manner.
- Recognizing and rewarding innovative achievements and sharing success stories.
- Organizing regular workshops, seminars, and interactions with entrepreneurs, investors, and professionals, while creating a mentor pool for student innovators.
- Establishing connections with peer institutions and national entrepreneurship development organizations.
- Creating an Institution’s Innovation portal to showcase innovative projects undertaken by faculty and students.
7. Organizing hackathons, idea competitions, mini-challenges, and industry involvement to stimulate innovation.